Thursday, November 17, 2011

pancakes

Today, I want to talk about pancakes. I love pancakes - I love to eat them and I love to make them. They remind me of my childhood, they are warm and filling, they are my comfort food.

~ pancake batter to the right, baby finger in brownies to the left ~

Laci helped my mom make pancakes yesterday morning. Yes, even at my age, my mama still spoils me with homemade pancakes. And homemade syrup. I like to make simple homemade syrup: sugar, water, maple flavoring, boil it up and you're done. My mom likes to get all complicated and make two batches of syrup: one thin batch (like I do) and one thick batch. When mixed together, you have the perfect consistency for syrup - not too thin, not too thick. I don't have time for such precision. I just make the thin syrup, and when piping hot, it's good enough for me.


The pancake recipe we use isn't anything special, but is the perfect base for adding blueberries, chocolate chips, cinnamon, whatever you want to add to "fancy" it up. I don't like "fancy" pancakes.  Just butter and syrup over plain old pancakes for me, thank you.


One time I made blackberry syrup. It was delicious. It took more than two minutes. I have not made it again.

This recipe successfully turned my husband from a pancake non-liker to a pancake lover. I cannot guarantee it will have such amazing results for you, but it is pretty good.

So, without further ado, here is the amazing plain pancake recipe, and my unsolicited commentary:

AMAZING PLAIN PANCAKES

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups milk*
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder**
1/2 tsp baking soda**
1/2 tsp salt

*I use 1 1/2 cups milk because I like thinner pancakes. Also, the original recipe calls for buttermilk, but I just use regular whole milk.
**Don't confuse the baking powder and baking soda. They'll still be pancakes but they will probably look a little weird

Mix all the ingredients together. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Pour the batter, flip when you see bubbles, and cook until golden and delicious on both sides. If you want add a little crisp to the edges, which I personally like, put some Crisco in the pan with the butter.



***
Did you know pancakes are best enjoyed in your pajamas? They are. Also, they are excellent for dinner. I believe Ryan and I have had pancakes for dinner more than any other meal. They are my go-to dinner when I'm short on time and completely unprepared (also known as I haven't been to the grocery store in ages, or all the meat we have is still in the freezer).



Thus ends my love note to pancakes. And since pancakes are so fun for me, and I had fun taking pictures of the pancake fun, and because this week's theme at You Capture is "something fun," and because I just wrote the word "fun" five times in this sentence, I'm linking up with Beth at ishouldbefoldinglaundry, and all the other "something fun" photos.

5 comments:

  1. Do you want my beer pancakes recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me hungry. :) Such sweet little faces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a pancake family, too ... for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert! Yum, yum, yum. =>

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom gets random phone calls asking for pancakes. with homemade applesauce. and thick syrup. Amazingly enough, despite the fact that I am perfectly capable of making my own pancakes my mom always makes them for me. That last picture makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this fun and informative post! Your pictures are so great and the whole post left me smiling!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for commenting...you just made my day!