~ today she is starting to smell more like milk and less like a hospital ... I can't wait to get her home ~
Mia's daily updates are getting less technical...it is refreshing to not need a medical dictionary every time I write about her. Her Morphine drip was turned off completely today and she remains my sleepy, mostly content, baby. Her feeds were increased to 10 mL this morning, and then to 15 mL this evening. It will be baby steps for Mia to increase to a full feeding because of her developing lung and because of the risk of complications related to her diaphragmatic hernia and repair. The doctors are closely watching her for signs of reflux, as well as signs that her digestive system is working properly after its traumatic beginning. So far, Mia is doing great and I'm sure we'll be up to full feeds very soon.
Tonight, Ryan and I are staying at my mom's house for some quality time with our big girl. This is the first time we have left Mia overnight and I will not be there for rounds in the morning. It is a strange feeling, to be so far from her when she is so tiny. But, I am confident in the nurses' abilities to medically care for her, and in their genuine concern for her comfort and happiness. The nurses in the NICU are very special people, they really do treat your baby as their own...and it doesn't hurt that Mia is especially cute these days.
As it turns out, my big girl needs me most tonight. Tomorrow's plans will be sidelined by an unexpected trip to the pediatrician, as Laci is showing signs of a bladder infection. Certainly not a life-threatening problem, but also not what I expected to come "home" to. And, although it is adding to my nearly full stress load, I am glad I can be here for her. I'll be calling the NICU bright and early in the morning for an update on my little girl, and hopefully be getting an early appointment for my big girl. At the end of the day, I am hoping for two healing girls and if I'm lucky, a little nap.
~ the broviac ... and special snuggle time with Grammy ~
Mia is looking so strong and healthy! I'm so glad she's doing so well! It's so difficult to watch your child go through trials. You are amazing Tonya! We'll meet up one of these days... cause I have to meet your beautiful girls! Tell Ryan hi for us too! Have fun with Laci and I hope that bladder infection clears up soon! My girls always get them too. :-(
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that she is progressing so well. Your mom looks so cute holding her. I hope Laci gets well soon. You surely didn't need this. But it's nice that you can take her to the doctor, it will make Laci feel better to have her mommy there. I'm so thankful that you have such great doctors and nurses to care for Mia.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that baby Mia is doing so well. I knew she would pull through. I love reading your blog everytime you update it, you are amazing writer. I hope everything continues to go the right direction so baby Mia can come home and I can meet her :):)
ReplyDeleteYour friend
April Chaigres
Tonya,
ReplyDeleteI was in Rohnert Park the last 3 days and missed reading your blog. I just caught up this afternoon. and what a feeling it was to see you are beginning to relax and truly know that baby Mia is going to be OK. You have been through an incredible journey - and one you won't forget. I know from experience that talking about and writing about the happenings in your life, expecially when it comes to your babies, if very therapudic. It is wonderful that you have taken advantage of that avenue to promote wellness and strength in both you and those around you.
It was good for Laci to have time with you and Ryan as a family. I'm sure she feels that some-thing different is going on. You will notice when Mia arrives home, that Laci will have times when she will want more attention from you. It's only normal.
My love and strength go to you and your family, and continuing to keep in touch with your blog will be one of my priorities.
All I can say at this time is," good job on the blog".
Much love,
Auntie Carolyn